For Subaru we needed to add a matte box to a medium format still camera. We found ourselves needing the ARRI standard rod positions in order to line things up.
rules for cleaning optical surfaces
1. Do not clean lens surfaces with any dry cloth or tissue. This causes scratches. No matter how high tech a new micro-fiber cloth claims to be, always use lens cleaning fluid. Without the lubricating property of the lens cleaning fluid, small abrasive particles will be ground into the lens surface and will remove the coating and possibly scratch the glass surface.
2. Always blow the dust off the glass surface first and blow at an angle to the glass.
3. Clean from the center to the edge.
4. Do not put the lens fluid directly on the glass. Liquids placed directly on lens elements can seep past the retaining rings and cause problems. Put the lens fluid on the lens tissue or cloth first and then clean the glass.
5. Use a cleaning fluid designed for cleaning coated photographic lenses. the following can be used as a temporary substitute:
85% Ethyl Alcohol (denatured alcohol)
15% Distilled Water
6. Do not use any cleaning fluid meant for eyeglasses. These fluids can sometimes contain silicone or other components that will contaminate photographic optics.
Stagnant air, darkness and humidity are a breeding ground for mold. avoid storing where the humidity will reach or exceed 60%. If lenses are exposed to humid conditions, especially condensing humidity then you should:
1. Expose the lens to sunlight in a moderate to low humidity environment (50% or less relative humidity) until it is completely dry to the touch.
2. Allow the lens to sit outside its case in an air conditioned environment overnight.
Lenses are sensitive, precision instruments and should always be transported in a properly designed lens case. At least 3 inches (7.5 cm) of foam should sit between any part of the lens and the outside of the case.
Lenses are sensitive to the position of the rotating rings when they are transported.
IRIS RING should be set to wide open. In the wide open position, the blades are folded and protected by the iris plates and less susceptible to damage.
FOCUS RING should be set to infinity
ZOOM RING should be at either the maximum or minimum focal length position. This depends on the lens, and for some lenses either position is okay. For zoom lenses that use springs in the zoom section, select the position where the springs are least extended.
Also disconnect any mounted zoom motors when transporting a zoom lens.